[OS X TeX] Fitting papers into a page limit

Chris Jefferson chris.jefferson at comlab.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 4 08:10:51 EST 2007

I often write papers in latex for conferences, and in almost all
cases my initial draft is too long, so I have to cut it down.

One slightly annoying property of latex (in this situation) is that
sometimes you can delete almost a whole paragraph from one page with
any text "springing back" from the next page, an in other cases
deleting only a single word somewhere in the document will lead to a
whole half-page being saved at the end.

With practice, I can often see pages where there is not a lot of
lines, and therefore editing or moving things near that page is
likely to lead to a whole paragraph being pulled back from a previous
page, whereas other pages are very full so removing things is
unlikely to have any effect.

  I was wondering if there is a package or program that will make
this easier? Maybe colouring the sections which are "under pressure"
and therefore more likely to shrink with minor alterations / changes?

I know there are commands which make latex more likely to split
paragraphs / squish text, unfortunately I often can't use those as
the style file is given by the conference / journal being submitted
to and they get annoyed at any commands which change the formatting.

Thank you,

Chris