[OS X TeX] finding missing braces

Rolf Schmolling rolf.schmolling at alumni.TU-Berlin.de
Sun Mar 4 14:40:26 EST 2007

Hello!

Please accept my apologies for posting without a subject… this was
actually the third time I tried, because somehow everything I sent
went as html by mistake.

Thanks for the search expression. I will try to save it somewhere and
try it out.

I tried the texshop-wiki as well and there Herbert Schultz suggested
to doubleklick right after an opening brace or right before a closing
brace. If everything is alright all text within the braces should be
selected together with the two braces. Unfortunately that still is
semi-automatic.

Someone I met in texusergroup hinted about some editors beeing smart
enough to do this but I really want to hang to TexShop because it
seems the only thing I'm able to work properly (simple but elegant,
no programming-skill neded, excellent sync between source and pdf)…

Anyway thanks a lot!

Greetings,
Rolf

Am 04.03.2007 um 17:07 schrieb Alan Munn:

> At 2:09 PM +0100 3/4/07, Rolf Schmolling wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> anybody having an idea how to search for missing braces on TexShop?
>
> At least as hard as searching for messages with no subjects.  I
> don't know of a foolproof way to do this, but one way that
> approximates finding unmatched braces is to find and highlight all
> instances of an opening brace followed by arbitrary text and then
> another opening brace.  If you have an unmatched brace, chances are
> this will show up as a larger chunk of text than you expect.  (Of
> course, this isn't foolproof, since it also highlights any cases of
> nested braces.)  So it depends a lot on the kind of text you write.
>
> The following regexp will work:
>
> \{[^{}]*\{
>
> Choose Find, click on the Regular Expression option and then choose
> highlight.  This will highlight all instances as described above.
> You can then go through these to see if they're the source of the
> problem.
>
> Maybe others have a better solution.
>
> Alan
> --
> Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
> Department of Linguistics                             and Germanic,
> Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
> Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.
> +1-517-355-7491

Rolf Schmolling M.A. Historian, Rolf.Schmolling at Alumni.TU-Berlin.DE
http://rolf_schmolling.macbay.de/