[OS X TeX] Texlive-mac os

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Wed Mar 7 03:48:34 EST 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 7 mars 07 à 07:00, Javier Elizondo a écrit :
>
>> I was able to delete teTex, and install texlive (mac
>> tex 2007). But when I run beamerexample1.tex it goes
>> to problems in the last page. This is what it comes
>> out
>
> This is because teTeX and TeXLive include different versions of the xcolor
> package, called implicitly by beamer and defining (not in all cases) the
> command \rowcolors:
>
> - teTeX includes version 2.00 of 4 July 2004, and \rowcolors is always
> defined.
>
> - TeXLive-2007 includes version 2.11 of 21 January 2007, and \rowcolors is
> defined only when the option [table] is specified, apparently.
>
> Hence, in order for beamerexample1.tex to typeset with TeXLive-2007, you need
> to modify it to call the beamer package with option [table], so that this
> option is passed on to xcolor.
>
> I don't know whether there is a dedicated beamer mailing list (or a bug
> report system somewhere), given I'm no beamer user myself, but if there is
> then it could be appropriate to report the problem there.

Till Tantau also mentioned xcolor, but he suggested that temporarily fix
(may be having (the) other things in mind too).

> Generally, if you're in a rush and don't have time to devote to such
> compatibility problem (and have loads of disk space), you can install teTeX
> using i-Installer (ignoring the warning about it being deprecated). The TeX
> Distribution system pref panel which is installed by MacTeX allows very easy
> switching between several installed distributions. Using teTeX is not a
> viable strategy in the long term, but it may help when you're in a work
> crisis and have more pressing issues to deal with than TeX ones.

I tried installing tetex for that purpose at some point, but it didn't
work for some reason, at least it didn't on the MacBooc Pro Intel.

> Hope this helps,

Bruno, you explain things so clearly and informatively: I began
understanding how the TeX distribution works only after you (incl with
fonts, which have always been a mystery to me, that I'm still trying to
avoid...).

Roussanka