[OS X TeX] Re: Really dumb question

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 11 19:09:29 EDT 2007

On Mar 11, 2007, at 23:05, Nathan Paxton wrote:

> 	Hmm.  even when I try that, I still get pdftex.

That is supposed to happen.

Here is what I get on a short file (see below):

$ latex test.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.1 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
(./test.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
yphenation, german, ngerman, french, latin, dutch, ukenglish, loaded.
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
No file test.aux.
[1] (./test.aux) )
Output written on test.dvi (1 page, 232 bytes).
Transcript written on test.log.

Most TeX formats use pdftex as the engine. Exceptions are plain (uses
Knuth TeX), and the xetex based stuff (dûh).

 From your log, I think one of the packages switches to pdf mode, and
then the stuff goes wrong. Try a minimal example to isolate the problem:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
Hello World!
\end{document}

This also runs cleanly (if verbosely) through htlatex. Try this, and
see if it comes through cleanly. If not, then you have a (serious)
configuration problem. If this fails, then start adding parts of your
preable, and see where things go wrong (half step refinement may be
prefered here).

Maarten