"beamer and TeX on Macs" Re: mactex.tar.gz (complete ... Re: [OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 19:54:06 EDT 2007

On 3/12/07, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
> Le 11 mars 07 à 23:25, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :
>
> > Let's hope that our TeX distributions will upgrade to it.
> > Otherwise, what are we supposed to do to upgrade to it?
>
> I don't think TeX Live will: AFAIK TeX Live is released once a year,
> with no intermediate updates between releases. MacTeX, being based on
> TeX Live, will be stuck to this one-year release cycle.
>
> That's one advantage of gwTeX over MacTeX: Gerben Wierda updates
> gwTeX constantly, so that, if you need a bleeding-edge version of
> some package, then you'd better turn to gwTeX.
>
> Bruno Voisin

If you want to have important for you packages up-to-date you need to
compile MPM and use it or do it manually (MPM sometimes does not know
packages; so manual job is unavoidable)

beamer:

1) Get it and decompress.

2) Decide if you want to install it: in texmf.local (whenever it is -
depends on distribution)
or ~/Library/texmf

3) In this directory (2) should be tex/latex/beamer subdirectory; if
it is not there create it. Move there all the subdirectories of the
downloaded directory with exception of doc and examples, replacing all
old stuff.

4) In this directory (2) should be tex/latex/beamer subdirectory; if
it is not there create it. Move there content of doc subdirectory of
the downloaded directory (and examples and different README and TODO
files if you wish);

5) Run sudo texhash (not needed if you put your stuff to
~/Library/texmf but does not hurt anyway);

Done