"beamer and TeX on Macs" Re: mactex.tar.gz (complete ... Re: [OS X TeX] final tex live 2007

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Mon Mar 12 11:39:34 EDT 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On 3/12/07, Roussanka Loukanova <rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se> wrote:
>> I'm sorry for not being behind: what is MPM?

Sorry for the extra "not". (The MPM seems too adventurous to me, and I do
not see a need of it for now. But good to know of it.)

> Since you are going to install, you need to decide (unless you want to
> invite all mailing list to administrate you mac :-) The result would
> be a Royal Mess

You've made me laugh loudly: I had in mind some highly hypothetical and
generic "you", definitely, none of you nor myself :)

Actually, both teXLive-07 and gwteX, should decide positively and upgrade.
Why otherwise are these comprehensive distributions: not only that we have
to download them as they are (packed with all the styles, etc), but then,
also, I (or whoever user on their own machine) have to take care of
complicate upgrades with all possible post-complications. I think it would
make much more sense the distributions to upgrade periodically depending
on the cases: bugs, significant improvements, etc.

But because of the frozen state of TeXLive, and as a possible consequence,
of TeXLive07, I hope that at least Gerben Wierda would stay in-tune.

By the way, somehow my memory (or just a dream of mine) speaks that MacTeX
intended to upgrade packages in the TeXLive07 distr, whenever
newer versions appear. I think that both TexLive-07 and gwTeX should do
so, if not the entire TeXLive.

> I prefer texmf.local on my macs since it becomes available for all
> users. Something for testing I put in ~/Library

This makes very good sense: whenever there are at least two users, or
accounts, who share tex distr on a single machine, or in a network.

> Actually Gerben (even in the days when he officially supported) acted
> on `per need` basis. So `need` should be expressed.

I did; perhaps other users would, or should, too.

Roussanka