PATH, was: Re: [OS X TeX] OT: Autotrace

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun Mar 18 19:50:22 EDT 2007

On Mar 18, 2007, at 19:53 , Roussanka Loukanova wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a marginally related question about setting up the PATH
> variable for accessing scripts defined by the user. Which is the
> good way to add the user's ~/bin directory to the search path: at
> its beginning or end, e.g. by adding a resepctive line in .bashrc
>
> (1) export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
>
> (2) export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

I prefer 2. It is safer because you cannot (accidentally, or
maliciously) override system stuff. Name clashs are also esier to
resolve as you can change the name of your personal script while it
is not advisable to change the names of system stuff.

> (3) or something else?

Best is not to use PATH at all if you can avoid it. But that is more
work. (2) is OK.