[OS X TeX] pdfinfo and calculating in an engine

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 12:08:48 EDT 2007

On 3/21/07, Friedrich Vosberg <fvosberg at mac.com> wrote:
> Am 21.03.2007 um 16.25 schrieb Victor Ivrii:
> >
> > compiling is not a programming :-) as long as one does not need to
> > change files one should know 26 letters to read README and INSTALL)
>
> In INSTALL the first line explaining installation on UNIX is:
>
>    Install t1lib (if desired).
>
> I do not know whether t1lib *is* desired. And if it is, I do not know
> how to install t1lib.
>
> >>    albook:~ fv$ which pdfinfo
> >>    no pdfinfo in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin
> >
> > WTH? your path is too short. There must be /usr/local/bin
> > /usr/local/sbin at least (and pdfinfo would be in /usr/local/bin)
> >
> > You need to fix your path
>
> WTH does it mean »fix your path«?

The path is the list of directories where any command will be looked.
As command is found it is executed. So command which is not your path
would not be found: if directory /usr/local/bin is not in your path
and pdfinfo is there it will not be found. Well,
/usr/local/bin/pdfinfo will work

OT since . is not in your path you need to type ./configure rather
than configure

What shell are you running? If default bash then I am only 99.9% sure
how to fix. If .tcsh look at your .tcshrc or .cshrc

type in  terminal echo $path

And read any UNIX for beginners. Mailist is good to patch the ex