[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 22 17:59:08 EDT 2007

> The name `dot´ files stands for files which do not have a proper name,
> only an extension, like: .emacs, .cshrc, .profile ...

No, 'emacs' and 'profile' really are the proper names of the files.
The dot just signifies that cataloguing tools should treat these files
as invisible unless the user indicates otherwise, chiefly to avoid
visual clutter.

Dots don't always signify filename extensions: even in Windows now you
can give a file a name with multiple dots, like 'My.Report.txt'.

Cheers,
Tony M.