[OS X TeX] Error: I can't write on file '(name)'

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Mar 22 19:39:02 EDT 2007

Le 22 mars 07 à 20:55, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> When I type
> sudo pico /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> I get
>   UW PICO(tm) 2.5    File: .../texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
> Modified
> in reverse video and, at the bottom, [New File]
> and a list of commands such as ^R read file but when I type ^R and
> Return nothing happens

Regarding the mention of UW PICO, I think that's because you're on
Panther, and it must be in Tiger that the University of Washington's
Pico has been replaced by GNU's nano.

Regarding ^R and the similar ^O ^X etc., ^ here is Unix's traditional
notation for the control (Ctrl) key. Hence, ^R does not mean pressing
the circumflex key, then a space, then R, then Return; instead, it
means Ctrl-R.

Regarding ^R specifically, IIRC Read means opening a file for pico:
after pressing Ctrl-R a pointer should appear in the reverse video
area at the bottom of the window, waiting for you to type the
complete path of the file to open (emacs works similarly IIRC). You
shouldn't need that command: when pico is launched as "sudo pico /usr/
local/texlive/2007/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf" the file is opened in pico
already, and all the commands you should need are Ctrl-Y (up one
screen), Ctrl-V (down one screen), Ctrl-O (save), Ctrl-X (quit).

Bruno