[OS X TeX] TeXlive 2007 and texdoc

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 15:13:38 EDT 2007

On 3/28/07, M A <markoilcan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/28/07, Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Any idea how to cure catalog html entries? Thank you in advance
> >

> The catalog's links all assume a directory structure that is identical
> to CTAN. Tex Live doesn't have exactly this same structure, so the
> links to local files all fail (but the ones to the Cambridge mirror of
> CTAN work). It would seem to make more sense to direct the person to
> the catalog entry at texcatalog.sarovar.org rather than a local copy
> when texdoc fails to find the documentation. You could write to the
> texlive mailing list and suggest this change since solutions to this
> are really outside the scope of Tex on Mac OS X.
>
> Mark A

This is obvious :-) Currently there are almost 2874 files with 53,763
links of which 42,811 are local (and almost all of them are wrong).
There is a solution which does not cure any external links, not
affects links to texmf-local, to fonts, dtx, sty (so thousands of them
are left intact) but it fixes tens of thousand bad links and while
replaces some bad links by other bad links, it does not seem to break
good links :-) So use it to your own peril:

cd /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-doc/doc/english/catalogue/entries

sudo fixcatalog *

where fixcatalog is perl script:

#!/usr/bin/perl -i
#
$old =  "../../../macros/latex/contrib/";
$new = "../../../../texmf-dist/doc/latex/"
while (<>){
	s/$old/$new/og;
		print;
		}

At least for me situation is less annoying.

Definitely someone can improve it.