[OS X TeX] Package/class for creating surveys

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri Mar 30 17:49:41 EDT 2007

On Mar 30, 2007, at 2:52 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> Here is an example of what I'd like. A LaTeX code that looks
>> something like the following:
>>
>> \begin{options}
>> 	\option Not really
>> 	\option Somewhat
>> 	\option Very much
>> \end{options}
>>
>> Then this ideally would end up looking in both of the following
>> two ways, depending on some easy option somewhere that I should be
>> allowed to set:
>>
>> one way:
>>
>> Not really (little box to tick here)        Somewhat (another box
>> here)       Very much   (another box here)
>>
>> the other way:
>>
>> Not really _____________    Somewhat ______________    Very much
>> _______________
>>

>> A cursory glance at the package did not really show me that it has
>> the commands to do something like that, but perhaps I missed it.
>

> 1) I don't really understand why the LaTeX code above would be
> preferable to using probsoln since the latter creates this kind of
> code systematically: if you have only one "problem" in each problem
> set file and let probsoln pick only one problem in each problem set
> file, you should get the above effect. Or what am I missing?

> 2) Can't the "two ways" be achieved with a boolean?
>
> 3) Inasmuch as probsoln uses enumerate for the choices, shouldn't
> it be possible to use "Not really", "Somewhat" and "Very much"
> instead of a., b., and c.?

Guess I am answering 1 through 3 here: I would simply like for the
box or straight lines to be created automatically by the command, and
I just didn't see an example in the probsoln guide that would do
that, and also no example to place the options in a row. I think am
asking essentially for two custom list environments, which should be
easy to create from scratch probably, and I think Jeff might have
done just that in hist post (Jeff, I'll look at your example soon,
thanks). I was just wondering whether there was already a dedicated
package that does this, like there is the wonderful exam class for
generating exams.

> 4) But, as you may have noticed, when I hit this kind of issue, I
> go to the list!  :-)
>
> 5) Also, Talbot randomized the order of the questions at my
> request. So, she might be willing to modify probsoln to allow surveys.

> Wish you luck.
>
> --schremmer

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College