[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sun May 6 16:18:50 EDT 2007

On May 1, 2007, at 12:31, Daniel Becker wrote:

> which epstopdf is it you are considering to improve?

The one I ended up maintaining (i.e. the perl one)

On the TeX Live mailing list, the c-version did have a bad press when I
asked about it. I have no opionion, I rather am not the maintainer of
anything.

>> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> Should the perl version of epstopdf in TL be retired in favour of
>> the c-coded version? What speaks against it is that it requires a
>> Ghostscript which is not part of TL. If a gs-independent epstopdf
>> has a role apart from a gs-dependent one, it is unfortunate that
>> the c- coded version has the same name.
>
> I sent two bug reports to Heiko some years ago and he fixed the bugs
> in the Perl version.  The author of the C version did not reply to the
> bug reports I sent to him  and the files on CTAN are still from 2001.
>
> Gerben, the version we currently have in TL is yours.  This is up to
> date and I do not see any good reason to replace it by anything else
> at the moment.

After which the discussion went on about moving the c-version on CTAN
to obsolete.

If the c-version is being actively maintained and better than the perl
version, TL should look at it.