[OS X TeX] [off-topic] best font set for using Times?

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon May 7 14:57:06 EDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 2:44 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> I am seeking guidance from those of you who really know font
> aesthetics. :-)
>
> We have been using Computer/Latin Modern as the font for the
> textbooks we are writing. Given that we have nothing better to do,
> our publisher has recently decided that Times is the font that they
> want to use. :-) Since we want a *full* set of fonts to use with
> AmS-LaTeX, we did some searching and found the MathTime
> Professional 2 Fonts from the PCTeX folks at:
>
> http://www.pctex.com/mtpro2.html
>
> We have purchased the fonts and have implemented them, but we must
> say that we don't find the kerning to be as good as with Latin
> Modern and the subscript and superscript placement in mathematics
> looks sloppy. Are we hallucinating? Is character placement *really*
> not as good? Are the MathTime Professional 2 Fonts the best set to
> be using for implementing Times in LaTeX?
>
> Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

What was the nature of the implementation? The macros provided by
PCTeX are by Walter Schmidt, so should be of very good quality.
Certainly the provision of three design sizes and parentheses and
delimiters up to 4 inches high augurs well.

Were your macros originally written w/ CM/LM in mind and you've not
adapted them?

I think this would be easiest if you put up two example .pdfs, one in
CM/LM, the other in Times and made some commentary available
(separately) describing what you mislike.

Unfortunately MathTime Professional 2 wasn't provided as a sample in
_The LaTeX Companion, 2nd Edition_ (though Micro Press's TM Math is
which is the only commercial alternative I'm aware of).

I guess the bottom line is, what do you mean by ``sloppy''?

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer