[OS X TeX] asymetrical double sided layout in LaTeX

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon May 7 15:42:32 EDT 2007

Hello Mar
On 07/05/2007, at 7:44 PM, Markus Bongard wrote:

> gentle persons,
>
> maybe somebody on this list is aware of an elegant way to produce
> an asymmetrical double-sided layout in LaTeX? I'm looking for an
> elegant way to create a layout where e.g. even pages have a
> completely different margin, text-column, etc. dimensions than odd
> pages. Maybe it is even possible to create something like page
> templates one can call whenever needed?

Provided you specify  twoside  among the documentclass options,
then parameters such as  \oddsidemargin  and  \evensidemargin
become applicable.
Also headers and footers are customised to even/odd pages.

See any of the standard LaTeX references for these features.

Changing the \textwidth and \textheight , according to the parity
of the page, is not an easy feature to implement. This is because
TeX tests for different possible page-break positions.
Having different widths for different pages makes this significantly
harder, though not impossible.

> Thanks for your attention and efforts!

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore