[OS X TeX] Float(s) lost

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri May 11 10:20:49 EDT 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> During compilation I encountered the following error that I haven't
> seen before and which I don't understand:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Float(s) lost.
>
>       See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>       Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
>       l.64    \include {3.pure}
>
>       ? h
>       You've lost some text.  Try typing  <return>  to proceed.
>       If that doesn't work, type  X <return>  to quit.
>
> The error occurs inside file 3.pure.tex, which is \include'd  in
> line 64 of my root file. Any idea's as to how to isolate the
> problematic spot are welcome.

According to TLC, p. 900 (mostly quoting):

One or more floats or \marginpar commands have not been typeset. The
most likely reason is that you placed a float environment or marginal
note inside a box by mistake -- inside another float or \marginpar,
or inside a minipage environment, a \parbox, or a \footnote. LaTeX
might detect this problem very late, such as when flushing the
document. This can make it very difficult to find the offending place
in the source.

There is more, but this will hopefully get you started.

All the best,
   Gary