[OS X TeX] Regular expressions

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat May 12 05:46:51 EDT 2007

Am 12.05.2007 um 10:58 schrieb André Bellaïche:

> P.S. The regular expression search does not seem to work very
> well : when you search for 'cla*', you get not only
> 'documentclass...', but also 'cleardoublepage' or 'clos', 'cloche'.
> The 'a' is not seen.

That's a correct behaviour: the ``*´´ in a regular expression stands
for 0 to ∞ repetitions of the last character. So indeed you are
searching for everything that contains at least ``cl´´.

If some characters play no role, then don't mention them – or do you
like to talk a lot about something that does not matter anything to
anyone? This expression might be more useful:

	cla.*

(I do not use the regexp form in TeXShop. It's not clear to me
whether there is some correspondence from my input to the output,
except when I am *not* using any wildcards. I prefer GNU Emacs, which
would find with either of these expressions all occurrences of \index
{*}:

backslash index { with an unknown number of characters of which is
*none* a } ending in })

--
Greetings

   Pete