[OS X TeX] [off-topic] best font set for using Times?

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Mon May 14 18:32:27 EDT 2007

Le 7 mai 07 à 20:44, Gary L. Gray a écrit :

> I am seeking guidance from those of you who really know font
> aesthetics. :-)
>
> We have been using Computer/Latin Modern as the font for the
> textbooks we are writing. Given that we have nothing better to do,
> our publisher has recently decided that Times is the font that they
> want to use. :-) Since we want a *full* set of fonts to use with
> AmS-LaTeX, we did some searching and found the MathTime
> Professional 2 Fonts from the PCTeX folks at:
>
> http://www.pctex.com/mtpro2.html
>
> We have purchased the fonts and have implemented them, but we must
> say that we don't find the kerning to be as good as with Latin
> Modern and the subscript and superscript placement in mathematics
> looks sloppy. Are we hallucinating? Is character placement *really*
> not as good? Are the MathTime Professional 2 Fonts the best set to
> be using for implementing Times in LaTeX?
>
> Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> All the best,
>   Gary

I have no advice to give, but a question to ask.

Given the MathTimePro2 fonts, and supposing we are happy with them,
how can we find text Times font to match them?

Explanation: The MathTimePro2 font have three designs for -7, 7-9 and
9- ranges, but usual Times fonts don't. And this is a real problem if
you want to use intensively \small or \footnotesize (for exercises,
e.g.). You have to adjust the size of Math Font in such a way it does
not look bolder than your text font, but then the letters (especially
q, etc.) look smaller.

(By the way, I still don't know if 7 or 9 is included in the range 7-9.)

André