[OS X TeX] OT: print html source

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue May 15 07:48:31 EDT 2007

Am 15.05.2007 um 13:00 schrieb Doris Wagner:

> thank you,
>> enscript -Ehtml file.html
>>
> this functions, but peters suggestion (lpr -l ...) does not
> (nothing is printed)...
> by the way, if I <!--comment the whole html-file,
> the source is printed out//-->

Obviously Apple's "extensions" to CUPS are not really sane, at least
for those who want to print the code and not the coded ...

lpr -l tells CUPS that the object to be printed is "ready" for
printing, i.e. has a format that the printer understands. So there is
no need to convert it to a different format. Since many printers can
fall back into an ASCII mode I hoped your printer would do that, too.

Enscript takes an input file and converts it into PS, and it has
means to enhance the look of the input file by applying some syntax
colouring. The PS output is ready for printing and Apple's printing
system should now assume that no other conversion is needed. (There
is another convertor, a2ps, that can do similiar things as enscript.)

Your means of commenting the whole HTML file makes the Apple
convertor from HTML to PS/PDF kind of fail, so the whole HTML comment
is saved in some PS or PDF form for printing.

(Once you stop the print queue, you can investigate its output in /
var/spool/cups and /var/spool/cups/tmp – but beware! Only root has
access to read from these directories!)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Seelsorge statt Krankenkasse: das ist neu und liberal, die wähl' ich!