[OS X TeX] Supressing Chapter Numbers in book.cls

Frederick Hoyt fmhoyt at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 15 10:27:45 EDT 2007

Hi,

Does any know a way to supress chapter numbers in sectioning commands
in the book document class?

In other words, book.cls prints section (and subsection) numbers with
the chapter number prefixed to the section number:

[in Chapter 1]

1.1 (for section 1)
1.1.2 (for subsection 1.2)
etc.

I do not want the chapter number to print:

1. (for section 1)
1.2 (for subsection 1.2)

I have looked in my manuals and googled for a solution but have not
found anything.

Thank you,

Fred Hoyt
Austin, TX

--
"It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin barefoot
irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is