[OS X TeX] Fwd: [Ii2-announce] TeXLive i-Package updated

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri May 18 18:00:59 EDT 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 23:32 , Roussanka Loukanova wrote:

> During Update & Install of the TeXLive i-Package, I got a warning
> box that i-Installer unexpectedly quit, and the i-Installer icon on
> the Dock was jumping crazily. But the installation proceeded with
> notices for success. I also Updated the Ghostscript i-Package.
> About the end of the updates, my MacBook Pro became very hot with
> the fans running crazily. So I had to shut down the machine to cool
> down. Does anybody have any idea?

I-Installer used Distributed Objects (DO) for communication between
the i-Package (using DO to communicate between separate theads in the
program also) and the program and it uses authorization stuff. It has
been my experience over the last 7 years or so that DO and
authorization stuff are very sensitive to small details in your setup
(e.g. stuff like the correct permissions here and there), maybe
especially so iin combination. This has not changed over the years.

Repairing permissions and rebooting has been one of the most
succesful strategies to fix i-Installer problems like these (which
are rare but do happen).

So, some separate part has died, maybe some other part has started
running at 100% CPU because of that. Some process may still have been
running. The command "ps laxww" in Terminal shows you what is running
ate any given moment.