[OS X TeX] Re: Fwd: [Ii2-announce] TeXLive i-Package updated

Bill Rowe readlists at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 19 22:01:16 EDT 2007

On 5/19/07 at 1:11 PM, rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se (Roussanka
Loukanova) wrote:

>I myself have never set (consciously) anything for Spotlight. Where
>may I look for Spotlight indexing enable/disable?

The best way I know of to disable Spotlight is to use mdutil
from the Terminal. Doing man mdutil will give you details of how
o do this.

>I've looked in the System Preferences > Spotlight. I see all 14
>preset by some Apple folks categories for Search Results. No
>usr/local.. appears there.

There are two aspects to the preference pane for Spotlight. The
first is a list of 14 preset file categories. Unchecking a
category will cause Spotlight not to index files of in that
category but will not disable Spotlight in general.

The second tab labeled Private presents a window where
directories can be entered. Any directory in this list will not
be indexed by Spotlight. I suppose instead of using mdutil, you
could navigate to the top level directory of your drive and
prevent Spotlight from indexing anything on that drive.

Note, Spotlight is enabled by default. So, unless you have taken
specific actions Spotlight will be enabled on your machine.