[OS X TeX] Can only get TeXLive to see ~user/Library/texmf if logged in as admin

Luci Ellis luci at verbeia.com
Mon May 21 17:25:21 EDT 2007

On 21/5/07 3:22 PM, "Herbert Schulz" <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On May 21, 2007, at 12:55 AM, Luci Ellis wrote:
>

>>> What is in
>>> ~/Library/texmf which cannot be found?
>>
>> The extra files that I want to find are in my own home folder's
>> library
>> folder, i.e. ~luci/Library/texmf/ and then fonts, bibtex, tex etc as
>> appropriate. The material includes custom class files (in
>> tex/latex/private), bst files (bibtex/bst), and lots of extra fonts.

> Howdy,
>
> Is ~lucy your admin account or the non-admin user account?

It's my account. The non-admin user account. The "admin user" is called
"Betty Admin". Don't ask why. :-D

>The ~luci/
> Library/texmf/ branch will only be searched when logged in as luci.

I am always logged in as me (luci). Normally this is a non-admin account.
This is meant to be good security practice. As mentioned above, the normal
admin user is a separate account with a silly name.

> If you want all users to access certain files you should place them
> in the texmf-local branch (or texmf.pkgs branch for gwTeX); and don't
> forget to run `sudo texhash` after doing that.

I don't need other "users" of the machine to have access. I am the only user
of the machine. But I had to give my "luci" account admin privileges
temporarily to get TeXLive to see this set of folders. It now seems to work
even though I have now taken away the admin rights on my normal account. But
the time I found it weird, confusing and frustrating, especially as I was
about to submit a paper to a journal and needed that custom .bst file. I'm
also concerned because I don't know why it started working again.

Cheers,
Luci