Macports without tetex (was: Re: [OS X TeX] Re: Multi-distribution woes)

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Wed May 23 10:45:32 EDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at math.fsu.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 08:43:53PM +0200, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>
> > On 21 May 2007, at 19:51, M A wrote:
>
> > >make that old and getting-outdated) TeX distribution. To allow
> > >macports to find your already installed latex copy /opt/local/etc/
> > >ports/ports.conf to ~/.macports/ports.conf (create the
> > >directory .macports if it doesn't exist already) and add the
> > >following lines to the end of the file:
> > >
> > ># Set the bin path so it can find tex stuff.
> > >binpath
> > >/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/
> > >X11R6/bin:/usr/texbin
>
> > I have done this. However, when I try to install, say, dvipdfmx
> > from macports, still macports attempts at downloading,
> > compiling and installing tetex.  How can we install
> > tex-dependent binaries in macports without downloading,
> > compiling and installing tetex, but relying on the mactex
> > distribution?  What is your solution supposed to do?
>
> That solution is supposed to make macports able to use the
> executables in that path. (Otherwise macports forms its own
> standard path.) However, in the dvipdfmx specific example, the
> Portfile contains a _library_ dependence on (among other things)
> kpathsea in the form:
>
> depends_lib       lib:libkpathsea:teTeX
>
> So maybe it doesn't find the library, and therefore it tries to
> satisfy the dependency by installing the teTeX port---which is
> the third field.

That's right. I should have qualified what I said by stating this
strategy only works for ports which depend on the various tex
executables. Because Tex Live does not install any libraries, you
cannot satisfy dvipdfmx's dependency on libkpathsea through TeX Live.
I don't know if gwtex installs libkpathsea, but if it does you could
avoid installing macport's tetex by using the library there. You could
do this by editing the dvipdfmx port file (sudo port edit dvipdfmx)
and change the line "lib:libkpathsea:teTeX" to
"path:/path/to/libkpathsea:teTeX" (without the quotation marks). You
might then have to update the Portindex file:

sudo portindex /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports/PortIndex

(The above should all be on one line.) I haven't actually tried this
so I'm not certain if the portindex step in necessary or if there's an
easier way to do it, but the above should work.

Mark A