[OS X TeX] Compressing pdf graphics

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Wed May 23 23:38:58 EDT 2007

Hi again,

Here is a summary of what I managed to learn from your many
suggestions so far, at least for solutions that required a single
operation: compressing an entire LaTeX-produced pdf document. My test
document is a report with 70 fairly large pdf figures (most are
around 300 KB). The pdf report is 20.6 MB.

My method up to now was to use Acrobat 7 Pro. In less than a minute,
I got a 6.6 MB pdf with all links functioning and no difference in
quality (that I could see, even zooming several levels). As mentioned
below, this requires Acrobat Reader version 6 or above (I chose this
setting when I selected "reduce file size in Acrobat) and makes the
document less compatible.

aarten Sneep and Guido Mocken recommended the use of pdftk for this
job. I tried and it is impressive: pdftk reduced it to 7.0 MB in
about the same time, not bad. All hyperlinks still functional.

"print-to-compressed-pdf" from Preview or Skim: produced a 10.7 MB
file (not too bad) but all hyperlinks broken (although the color was
preserved).

I tried PdfCompress, a demo of a commercial version (could not adjust
any setting, was set for "web" quality). I heard it degraded bitmaps
but since all my figures are vector graphics, the end product was 8.4
MB with no noticeable loss of quality and all links functional. Not
bad, but not better than free solutions (except drag and drop ease of
use).

I'll try to summarize later the many solutions that acted on each
individual graphic file, either shrinking each one with the tools
above or producing them as eps first with R (they tend to be smaller
than pdf) and then converting into pdf (sometimes huge saving
compared to pdf produced from R, sometimes very little saving,
depending on the type of plot).

Again, many thanks for the suggestions. Or course, it would be nice
if one or two lines added to a LaTeX file sufficed to compress the
final pdf (see my other post today).

Denis