[OS X TeX] Unix expert help needed

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Thu May 24 12:22:25 EDT 2007

On 5/24/07, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> I've completely forgotten about the resource forks. Even `ls -a` on
> Mac OS X hides them! The folders I've stripped were for Mac
> consumption so I haven't worried about them. I do remember sending
> some photos from iPhoto va CD to a friend with a Windows machine and
> he had to wade through the "extra" files. I think I've seen resource
> fork strippers out there but haven't looked into which one may be
> best or how to use some CLI tools to do it---I'll be there is one but
> maybe it's only with the developer tools.

If you are in a directory that has a subdirectory "stuff" that you
want to archive without resource forks, do the following:

ditto -ck --norsrc --keepParent stuff stuff.zip

The archive stuff.zip will now unzip into a directory "stuff" whose
files have resource forks stripped off. To create a tar archive some
additional work is needed. This will do the trick:

ditto -c --norsrc --keepParent stuff /tmp/x.cpio; cd /tmp; cpio -i -I
x.cpio; tar cvf stuff.tar stuff

This will leave you with stuff.tar in /tmp along with the directory
stuff and the cpio file x.cpio.

Mark A