[OS X TeX] "clean" zip files

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Fri May 25 10:09:25 EDT 2007

On 5/24/07, Jan Anderssen <jan at linguist.umass.edu> wrote:
> >> http://mikepiontek.com/software/mac/create-clean-archive.html
> >
> > It is somewhat ironic that the create_clean_archive zip file when
> > unzipped (via 'unzip')  ends up creating a __MACOSX directory, and is
> > itself, thus, not very clean.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I have to admit I haven't done very thorough testing, but I've so far
> not seen the behavior you describe.
>
> I just did the following comparison, with a folder containing
> a .DS_Store file and a file with a custom icon (these are stored in
> the resource fork, i think?)
>
> - on OS X, create a zip file via the default context menu "Create
> Archive" and unzip on Solaris:
>    i do get the __MACOSX directory with a ._.DS_Store and a ._ file
> for the other file
>
> - on OS X, create a zip file via the "create clean archive" workflow
> and unzip on Solaris:
>    i don't get any __MACOSX direcory, as far as i can see.
>
> If you find cases where the automator workflow doesn't remove all Mac
> specific stuff, I'd be happy to hear about them, since I, at this
> point, just  mostly trust it to do the "right" thing.

Sorry, I actually did not mean to say that it does not work as
advertised, just that it is ironic that the create_clean_archive zip
file is itself not clean. That is, presumably, it was not created by
itself. (Or, if it was then it didn't work properly.) I haven't
actually tried it (I'm almost exclusively a command line type of
person), so I make no claims about its efficacy.

Mark A