[OS X TeX] problems with Minion Pro package with gwTeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu May 31 07:05:48 EDT 2007

Am 31.05.2007 um 10:15 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Actually, if I'm not mistaken, upon install gwTeX makes updmap
> synonymous to updmap-sys.

Bruno, you *are* mistaken here: both scripts are different! Updmap-
sys sets TEXMFVAR and TEXMFCONFIG to TEXMFSYSVAR resp.
TEXMFSYSCONFIG. Then updmap is called to do the real job on the basis
of these two variables set. The difference is that the output of
updmap-sys lands in a set of system-wide directories (/usr/local/
gwTeX/texmf.local/fonts/map/*/updmap, /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-
var/fonts/map/*/updmap) while the "personal" updmap writes the MAP
files into the personal area at ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/*/updmap.
Since both TEXMFSYSVAR and TEXMFSYSCONFIG are set to contain also
$HOMETEXMF, both updmap and updmap-sys read the MAP file fragments
form the system's area and from the user's private area. So it makes
a difference whether updmap-sys is invoked with a simple sudo (then
the proper user's HOMETEXMF area is searched) or with 'sudo -H' 'sudo
-H -u root' (then the root user's quite empty HOMETEXMF area is
searched).

> Accordingly I think your suggestion would simply not work, or give
> unpredictable results. In order to allow user-specific setups, and
> restore updmap its default behaviour on teTeX 3 and TexLive, you
> would have to install the gwTeX i-Package in i-Installer in Expert
> mode: the choice of whether or not to allow user-specific setups
> (default choice: no) is the last one at the end of the Configure
> stage.

Bruno, it works perfectly for me (and I think a few others, too)!
Nothing else is needed. And it keeps the system clean, not adding to
it false information about fonts only available for one person. No-
one gets confused about a font that is reported as existing but
cannot be used ...

What I had to do is to configure the behaviour of the TeX
installation twice in terms of default paper size, downloading or not
downloading fonts, using the Karl Berry or another font naming
scheme, using the original fonts or the urw++ substitutes, and using
the same MAP file fragments from the system's area. Because updmap is
so slow it takes an hour or longer to fulfil the batch job.

Upon request I can make it clearer and write down the start of such a
batch job ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Make it simple, as simple as possible but no simpler.
                               Albert Einstein