[OS X TeX] OT: authorizations in Leopard

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Nov 11 00:38:13 EST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> At some point it seemed that files and folders copied from these
> supports couldn't be modified (they had authorizations r-xr-xr-x
> IIRC), but now that's gone for some reason.
>
> Finally, motivated by all that I attempted to repair permissions
> with Disk Utility. The report ended up with (approximate translation
> from the French):
>
> ACL found but not claimed on /Applications
> ACL found but not claimed on /Library
>
> Googling a bit revealed that ACL are a more sophisticated way of
> defining and managing permissions for Unix systems, that it was
> present but not activated on Tiger, and that it is indeed present
> and activated on Leopard. I looked at some documentation but could
> not understand a word of it.
>
> It seems, however, that a way to solve the problem reported by Disk
> Utility is to use "sudo chmod -a# 0 <folder-name>". I have no idea
> what this syntax means. The tip was found on a MacBidouille user
> forum, quoting MacFixIt. This seems to refer to two articles:
>
> <http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071108091216152>
> <http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20071106085808151>
>
> Hence I tried:
>
> sudo chmod -a# 0 /Applications
> sudo chmod -a# 0 /Library
>
> It suppresses indeed the warning in Disk Utility, but it does not
> seem to affect the authorizations problems I'm experiencing.
>
> Again, this is OT, but I thought that's information which might be
> useful in helping people decide whether or not to switch now.
>
> Bruno Voisin

Howdy,

I see the @ on many files also. I've run into a problem where I can't
write to some files even though all permissions say I can. I can't
make out any pattern to which files I can write and which I can't.
They're all in the same directory and all .tex source files written in
TeXShop under Tiger and before.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)