[OS X TeX] Strange error

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:45:59 EST 2007

or, at least, an error I don't understand.

Yesterday, I started to get the following error:

When I try to use align, say from the LaTeX panel, I get the
following console error:

	! Improper \halign inside $$'s.
	<recently read> \halign

	l.11 \end{align}

1) I have reduced to the following minimal example:

	 		  1 &= 2  \\
			   3 &=  4

- If I comment out
LaTeX typesets the minimal file.

- If not, a return carriage in the console lets LaTeX typeset 1=2 and
3=4 properly aligned. Here is the end of the console log:

	(./Untitled.aux) ){/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/fonts/enc/dvips/lm/
	Output written on Untitled.pdf (1 page, 17921 bytes).
	Transcript written on Untitled.log.

2) What makes it really strange is that:
-- it just started even though, to my knowledge, my installation and
my preamble have not changed for several months (I am still on 10.4.9)
-- any and all the align that I used in the magnum opus still typeset
without the console squawking but any new one brings up the
abovementioned error message.
-- if I copy-paste the above align in any of the chapters that used
to typeset without problem they immediately cease to work. If I
comment the pasted align out, the chapters work again.
-- if I copy-paste an align that works, it doesn't work any more
-- commenting out lmodern does not help in the magnum opus and I
can't afford not to use the fink package.

I have no idea what's going on (I couldn't even find halign in the
companion 2ed and from
  I get the feeling that it is a tex command anyhow) and would very
much appreciate any explanation/help.