[OS X TeX] bibtex and Japanese (or Chinese)

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Wed Nov 14 01:51:27 EST 2007

On 14.11.2007, at 00:57, Álex Bueno wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2007, at 12:59 pm, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>> You can probably do this by adding a BibTeX field for your
>> translations, e.g. Title-Kanji and Author-Kanji, then modifying
>> a .bst file to print those appropriately.  If you use XeTeX and
>> UTF-8 for your .tex and .bib file, this will likely work, but
>> don't try and sort by those fields.
> That's what it seems I'll have to do, though I don't know if I'll
> be easily able to modify it to recognize Japanese names to
> correctly order last names. That's also why I was hoping there was
> a package for this.
> Googling again now, it seems biblatex might be a good package to
> attempt this with, seeing as jurabib only got close to Chicago
> format. Though the prospect of writing the format from scratch is
> somewhat unsettling.

I don't know whether it helps you with your Japanese problem, but IME
biblatex is simply one of the greatest improvements for working with
LaTeX/BibTeX for quite some time.

Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50
8002 Zürich

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick