[OS X TeX] Using gtamacfonts on Leopard

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Nov 21 18:22:50 EST 2007

Le 21 nov. 07 à 19:03, Matthias Damm a écrit :

> after I upgraded to Leopard, I experienced problems with the Hoefler
> font installed by i-Installer via Gerben's gtamacfonts feature.
> [...]
>
> My problem was that after using \usepackage{gtamachoefler}, some
> glyphs were not printed, namely German Umlauts (äöü) and the "ß".
> There were warnings like
>
> 	pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/fonts/
> truetype/
> 	gtamacfonts/hoefler/HoeflerText.ttf): glyph `a_dieresis' not found
>
> for all these characters.
>
> [...]
>
> The version of Hoefler.dfont on my Leopard system was 6.0d7e1
> (visible in the Finder info). The version on my iBook still running
> Tiger is 5.0d7e2. So, Leopard seems to carry an updated version of
> the Hoefler font that seems to be incompatible with Gerben's
> gtamacfonts.
> After I replaced the Hoefler.dfont by the older version and re-
> configured TexLive via i-Installer, everything is fine again.
> The other gtamacfonts seem not to have the problem, but I am not
> sure if I tested that thoroughly enough.
>
> Here's a minimal example that showed the problem and runs fine now:
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> \usepackage{gtamachoefler}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> 	-äöüß-
>
> \end{document}
>

> Does anybody else see the problem?

Same here (that is, after realizing I needed to switch TeXShop to
UTF-8 encoding in order to process your example):

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
[...]
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/gtamacfonts/gtamachoefler.sty{/
usr/loca
l/gwTeX/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}{/usr/local/
gwTeX/texmf.
gwtex/fonts/map/pdftex/gtamacfonts/gtamacfonts.map

pdfTeX warning: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.gwtex/fonts/m
ap/pdftex/gtamacfonts/gtamacfonts.map): fontmap entry for `ts1-
OptimaRegular' a
lready exists, duplicates ignored
})
No file Leopard-2.aux.
(/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex/gtamacfonts/t1gtamachoefler.fd)
[1] (./Leopard-2.aux) ){/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/fonts/enc/dvips/
gtamacfont
s/ec-hoefler.enc}</usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/fonts/truetype/
gtamacfonts/hoefl
er/HoeflerText.ttf

pdfTeX warning: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.gwtex/fonts/t
ruetype/gtamacfonts/hoefler/HoeflerText.ttf): glyph `a_dieresis' not
found

pdfTeX warning: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.gwtex/fonts/t
ruetype/gtamacfonts/hoefler/HoeflerText.ttf): glyph `o_dieresis' not
found

pdfTeX warning: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.gwtex/fonts/t
ruetype/gtamacfonts/hoefler/HoeflerText.ttf): glyph `u_dieresis' not
found

pdfTeX warning: /usr/texbin/pdflatex (file /usr/local/gwTeX/
texmf.gwtex/fonts/t
ruetype/gtamacfonts/hoefler/HoeflerText.ttf): glyph `s_s.german' not
found

Output written on Leopard-2.pdf (1 page, 5470 bytes).
Transcript written on Leopard-2.log.

> Is there really a problem with the i-Installer package or do I have
> a specific problem on my system? (I re-installed some fonts from my
> former system folder, but I do not think that I changed any of the
> default fonts.)

I rather suspect the culprit is Fondu, the font utility, installed by
i-Installer, which is used when the TeX i-Package is installed to
convert the .dfont files from /Library/Fonts/ to .ttf format.

One possibility could be that the version of Fondu installed by i-
Installer is incompatible with the Hoefler fonts shipped with Leopard.
However, I checked at the Fondu site <http://fondu.sourceforge.net/>
and it seems Fondu hasn't been updated since the beginning of 2006,
while the Fondu i-Package is dated October 2006.

Hence it seems either a bug in Fondu, or a bug in pdfTeX which
couldn't deal with the .ttf files produced by Fondu.

> Does Gerben still read this list or should I send him a bug report?

I don't think he's subscribed anymore.

Bruno Voisin