[OS X TeX] [Fink-beginners] Problem with tetex/gwtex and fink

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Oct 3 11:09:11 EDT 2007

Le 3 oct. 07 à 16:00, Holger Schulz a écrit :

> I have gwTeX based on TeX Live installed via the i-Installer.
>
> On
> running fink update-all I was asked to choose a tetex distribution
> and I decided for system-tetex to make fink use this TeX distribution.
>
> It seems that does not work as easy as aspected. Update failed with
> the following messages:
>
> [...]
>
> You don't a valid teTeX installation; you are missing the file(s)
> /usr/local/teTeX/lib/libkpathsea.a /usr/local/teTeX/include/kpathsea/
> tex-file.h /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
>
> [...]

It seems Fink's TeX has the same problem as MacPorts (formerly
DarwinPorts): it's designed for the deprecated teTeX, which has been
discontinued by its developer (Thomas Esser) and is now superseded by
TeXLive. In particular, since the beginning of this year the two Mac-
specific public domain TeX distros, gwTeX and MacTeX, are both based
on TeXLive.

Accordingly, for gwTeX the path to kpathsea involves now /usr/local/
gwTeX/, not /usr/local/teTeX/.

I don't know whether some updated Fink's TeX package is available, or
whether you need to do the work yourself. Martin, are you listening?

Bruno Voisin