[OS X TeX] Re: TeX-Live (Mac version) question

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 5 13:13:39 EDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Lantz Susan wrote:

> My thanks to the gentlemen who answered my question. I found the
> AMS-TeX
> format.
>
> Now my question is: Is there a way to make AMS-TeX show up in the list
> of formats in TeXShop's pulldown menu?
> (I also have, but have not yet tried gwTex, if that makes the answer
> simpler.)
>
> Susan Lantz
>
> Susan A. Lantz, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
> Tri-State University
> lantzs at tristate.edu

Howdy,

Duplicate an engine file in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines and rename it
amstex.engine; this is to preserve the execute permissions. Open the
file in a text editor and replace its contents with

#!/bin/bash
pdftex -shell-escape -fmt amstex -output-format pdf "$1"

making sure you have a return after the pdftex line and save in ~/
Library/TeXShop/Engines. Then you can pick the amstex engine from the
drop down list ON THE SOURCE TOOLBAR -or- put the line

%%!TEX TS-program = amstex

as the first line of your file to automatically have TeXShop run the
amstex engine when you Typeset.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)