[OS X TeX] Suchen in PDF-Dateien

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Sun Oct 7 11:08:42 EDT 2007

I believe you are correct, and that external media is not indexed.
The metadata that is created by spotlight is stored in the Resource
Fork in the filesystem, which is not going to be editable in the case
of CD/DVD media.

There are some command-line tools for inspecting and importing
metadata, e.g.
apropos metadata
in the Terminal will list these commands, among which I have CpMac,
MvMac, mdimport, mdls, and mdutil.

I am not certain that doing mdimport will accomplish anything on
external media that hasn't already been indexed, so yes, I would
import them into your home directory structure somewhere, and then
let Spotlight index that, perhaps with a mdimport -f command. I'm
sure there are prior posts relating to Spotlight indexing of tex
files on the archive of this list with information that could be
applied to your situation.