[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Adam M. Goldstein agoldstein at iona.edu
Mon Oct 8 00:30:57 EDT 2007

If you use .Mac, then you can also use iWeb to create and publish the
web site with the files to upload. You get a nice site with no
coding, just dragging and dropping widgets and choosing backgounds
etc. .Mac costs $100 per year, and iWeb (a part of iLife) (iThis,
iThat, iTheOtherDamnThing) costs around the same. It is not open
source, but then again, although google pages is free, it's not open
source either.

Regarding Sourceforge, they probably wouldn't want to host this
project, because (they would say) it is primarily devoted to content,
rather than executable code.

I personally can't wait to see the magnum opus, both to learn about
math, direct students to it, and also so that I can see the LaTeX
used to build it, especially after having seen all the questions
posted here about it.

-Adam

On Oct 7, 2007, at 10:28 PM, Jens Noeckel wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2007, at 6:38 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> iv. The first part of the magnum opus to be uploaded will be the
>> standalone version of the algebra part of "From Arithmetic To
>> Differential Calculus" (Yes, that's the magnum opus' title.) That
>> will be finished, text, homework,review exams and all, within the
>> next few weeks. I will then make zip files for the various
>> components and see what sizes I get.
>>

> Hi,
> don't worry, this will be a piece of cake. You have a gmail
> account, so probably the best choice (since it's free and
> completely under your control) would be to create your website at
> http://pages.google.com/
> You just have to choose a name for your site (e.g. magnumopus), and
> then you stuff will be available at
> magnumopus.googlepages.com
>
> There are probably lots of people on the list who can provide web
> space (incuding me), but googlepages is really quite easy to use,
> so you should be OK on your own, if all you want to do right now is
> to upload zip files. All file uploads are conveniently handled
> through a file open dialog from within your web browser (i.e., you
> will be in familiar territory at all times, and can forget about
> sftp, ssh etc.).  The hardest part is to type a web page in "google
> page creator" online, and insert your uploaded zip files into that
> page as links. As I said, this is all done entirely within your web
> browser.
>
> Regards,
> Jens

=================================