[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:51:35 EDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Bernhard Barkow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2007-10-10, at 11:51, Geoff Searby wrote:
>> I my opinion, for his usage, Alain Schremmer should *not* try to
>> retain resource forks and hidden files for three reasons
>>
>> 1) They are totally useless to non-Mac users
>> 2) They become visible to non-mac users and can create confusion,
>> or even panic
>> 3) He can be sure that users on all plate-forms will get the same
>> results
>
> I totally agree; there are rare exceptions regarding resource
> forks, but for most files they are really useless.

OK, I am totally convinced.

Except: what about Mac users? Should I have separate downloads for
Wintel and for OS X?

To be a bit more specific, I plan to have pdf downloads for those who
want a ready-made "product" and LaTeX source download for both those
who want to /configure/ the stuff—e.g. have the questions on exams in
straight or random order etc—as well as for those who want to /
rewrite/ the stuff. (Under a GNU Free Documentation License)

>> To upload zillions of files at once, the best way is to make a zip
>> archive, and upload that.
>> I can recommend CleanArchiver : http://www.sopht.jp/cleanarchiver/
>>
>> It is simple a drag&drop application that can
>> create .zip, .gzip .bzip or .dmg archives from a folder including
>> or excluding whatever hidden stuff that suits you. Launch it only
>> to set/change the preferences.

Once upon a time, I bought Stuffit but would be delighted giving it
up. I will look CleanArchiver up.

By the way, after spending a couple of hours looking at and reading
about "not so free" web hosting, e.g. GooglePages, I am leaning more
and more towards having my own server. Anything I should know about
that route?

Grateful regards to all
--schremmer