[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:24:47 EDT 2007

On Oct 10, 2007, at 5:14 PM, Bernhard Barkow wrote:

> On 2007-10-10, at 20:51, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> By the way, after spending a couple of hours looking at and
>> reading about "not so free" web hosting, e.g. GooglePages, I am
>> leaning more and more towards having my own server. Anything I
>> should know about that route?
>
> Seems reasonable! I assume that having a shared hosting
> configuration would be the appropriate (and most painless) choice;
> managing your own server is probably too much over the top (and too
> troublesome if the purpose is only a storage space for downloading;
> I would not be surprised if you would master the necessary skills,
> but on the other hand there are more rewarding ways to spend one's
> time).

There certainly is but I hadn't realized that, once the stuff
uploaded, there was any upkeep.

> And since you asked, just my personal opinion: if you are willing
> to afford it, don't go for super-cheap hosting offers.

I had come to the very same conclusion.

> And I don't know about the final file sizes and the expected
> download volume, but a data transfer limit might be something to
> watch out for.

I don't know the sizes yet but I would guess around 100Mb for the sum
total of the various possible downloads but I wouldn't expect anyone
to download everything. However, I think that I don't understand what
a "data transfer limit" is. Nor, by the way, what bandwith is. Can
you suggest somewhere where I could get acquainted with all that?

Regards
--schremmer