[OS X TeX] Collaboration tools

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Oct 13 14:32:14 EDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 09:50, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Dear Messers,
>
> I am working on a paper with a colleague on the West Coast. He's on
> a WinTel machine. We would like to set up something like Subversion
> to check out and modify our documents.
>
> Where can I find detailed, explicit, assume-no-technical-knowledge,
> step-by-step instructions?

You can't.  Technical knowledge is required, and you likely won't get
everything you need from a single site, much less from a TeX list.

> I could host it on my MacPro. The software does not have to be free,
> just reliable, stable, and not require a guru to configure. (That
> said, I'm not afraid to use command-line on Terminal.)

http://www.google.com/search?ie=utf8&oe=utf8&q=set+up+subversion+server+mac+os+x

You can use svnserve or Apache.  The simplest route is probably to use
svnserve.  See <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06.html> for
details.

Setting up a server is a pain if you go the Apache route.  You should
be comfortable with the command line and familiar with httpd
configuration and access controls.  I set it up on an OS X Server
system at work, following the instructions here:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/subversionxcode.html

Getting it to use Active Directory for authentication was not not fun,
but basic authentication would be easier.  If you don't know what
you're doing, expect to spend at least a couple of days on it.

--
adam