[OS X TeX] Collaboration tools

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sat Oct 13 14:32:14 EDT 2007

On Oct 13, 2007, at 09:50, Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Dear Messers,
> I am working on a paper with a colleague on the West Coast. He's on
> a WinTel machine. We would like to set up something like Subversion
> to check out and modify our documents.
> Where can I find detailed, explicit, assume-no-technical-knowledge,
> step-by-step instructions?

You can't.  Technical knowledge is required, and you likely won't get
everything you need from a single site, much less from a TeX list.

> I could host it on my MacPro. The software does not have to be free,
> just reliable, stable, and not require a guru to configure. (That
> said, I'm not afraid to use command-line on Terminal.)

You can use svnserve or Apache.  The simplest route is probably to use
svnserve.  See <http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch06.html> for

Setting up a server is a pain if you go the Apache route.  You should
be comfortable with the command line and familiar with httpd
configuration and access controls.  I set it up on an OS X Server
system at work, following the instructions here:

Getting it to use Active Directory for authentication was not not fun,
but basic authentication would be easier.  If you don't know what
you're doing, expect to spend at least a couple of days on it.