[OS X TeX] ai, eps, pdf and TeXShop

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri Oct 19 09:20:30 EDT 2007

On Oct 19, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> I noticed that illustrator files with the extension ai can be
> displayed in preview.app but not in TS (in TS, ai files open as
> text). I also noticed that if I save an illustrator file in ai
> format and then manually change the extension to pdf, TS opens it
> with no trouble (with the correct bounding box, too). Hence my
> question: is it possible to teach TS to treat files with the
> extension ai as if they were pdf? This would save me a lot of time
> because I normally save illustrator files as eps, then have TS do
> the conversion to pdf (if I save to pdf in illustrator, I get a
> graphic whose bounding box is the size of the page, not the size of
> the graph).

This is a very interesting discovery! It would be cool to be able to
save as a .ai file and *not* have to do what I describe below.
Unfortunately, I suspect that what you (now we!) are asking requires
a change in LaTeX, or at least the graphicx package. With that said,
you have a couple of options:

(1) If you are using AI CS3, then you can save as a PDF out of
Illustrator and use the new Crop Area Tool to tell AI to save it with
the right bounding box. I simply do a select all, double click on the
Crop Area Tool, and then it to fit crop area to selected art.

(2) If you are using a version earlier than CS3, you can use our
cropping app, which you can download from:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/PDF-Processing-Apps.zip

See:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.macosx/23098/match=pdf+cropper

or: