[OS X TeX] LaTeX Font warnings: Font shape

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 19:17:29 EDT 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 6:31 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Alain,
> On 23/10/2007, at 7:43 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>> This simply means that the font  (lmodern roman) you chose
>>> doesn't have bold small caps, so it substituted normal shape
>>> instead.
>>> This one says that the font you chose (lmodern sans) doesn't have
>>> small caps either, and so roman was substituted here.
>> Thanks to your explanations, I have stopped worrying and am not
>> about to do anything.
> Well, that may not be the best approach.
> You should look through your output for places where small-caps
> was requested, but not provided properly.
> In particular, the first (bold) instance is giving you
> lowercase instead of small uppercase.
> Being bold, this is probably in headings or captions;
>  e.g.  the  'Figure' part at the beginning of the caption.
> If that is the only thing that is wrong due to this, then
> yes it is nothing to worry about, provided it still looks OK.
> The second instance is of sans-serif smallcaps being given
> as roman small-caps. This may well look quite bad, to have
> roman in the middle of a block of stuff that is otherwise
> sans-serif.  But more likely it is another kind of header,
> maybe in footnotes, table-of-contents, or perhaps due to
> the bibliography style.
> Note that the warnings occur the first time that you
> try to *use* the requested combination of font styles
> and shapes. As source line-numbers are given, you should
> be able to read from the log-file which was the data file
> being input at that point, and find the corresponding line.
> Then determine the font-switching macro that triggered the
> warning.
> If it is near the beginning of your document, there is a
> good chance that it happens while reading a .toc, .lof
> or .lot file, or other metadata stuff that you place
> near the front of your magnum opus, rather than amongst
> its mathematical content.
>> I  need a font to distinguish a certain category of terms.
> Maybe you have a glossary of terms, inserted near the
> beginning of the book?  Are you really getting the font
> that you wanted to use for this?
> Make use of the information that these messages provide.
> They have line-numbers. You can determine the file.
> The rest is up to you to check it out.
> The .log file is meant to be your friend.
> Normally it is, provided you bother to interpret the data
> that it contains.
>> Very grateful regards
>> --schremmer
> Hope this helps,

To say the least, this is a very different approach from the one I
was going to take. And a lot more work. But, as I said, I might want
to clean things up a bit before uploading. So, I think that I will
try to make a small file with a sampling of the various font shapes.

In any case, I am only working on an included file

starting with the line

	%!TEX root = ../ChaptersPRINT/12.tex

to call the special root file

to avoid having to typeset the whole book every few minutes.

So, since there is no toc, etc, just the contents, it shouldn't be
too hard.

Grateful regards