[OS X TeX] Vanilla LaTeX to XeLaTeX?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:08:54 EDT 2007

On Oct 19, 2007, at 12:53 PM, Aaron Jackson wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2007, at 4:22 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>

>> On Oct 18, 2007, at 3:45 PM, S P Suresh wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> Sorry, this is not an answer but a question. How compatible will
>>> the Computer Modern (or mathpazo, or mathtime) math fonts be with
>>> the OS X fonts that you will be using for text? I don't know what
>>> the effort involved is, and I also guess that people are working
>>> on it, but when XeLateX finally provides full math support, that
>>> will be the day!
>>
>> I second. This has now become my third question.
>>
>> 3) How compatible is Computer Modern—or whatever math font(s) it
>> is that I am currently but unwittingly using in my Vanilla LaTeX
>> installation?
>
> Most fonts USUALLY give you the right to embed them in a document
> and distribute the document without restriction (see Lucida license
> http://www.pctex.com/files/managed/a/a2/EULA.txt).  Otherwise, what
> is the point of buying a font in the first place?  I wouldn't
> imagine that there should be any issues with the GNU document
> license, since that only refers to the content of the work, not the
> media on which it is distributed.

Well, yes, but …

i.  Indeed, even if I am using a proprietary font in my source, you
certainly need nothing more than a pdf reader to print it.

ii. However, the GNU document license requires that the source too be
made usable without proprietary tools. If you want to typeset the
source, as opposed to just printing the pdf, aren't going to have to
buy the font?

As far as my question 3) above is concerned, though, it was rather
stupid: I would assume that anything in a distribution such as gwtex
would be perfectly free. I don't know what bit me.

Regards
--schremmer