[OS X TeX] Reference managers

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Thu Oct 25 01:01:37 EDT 2007

On Oct 25, 2007, at 2:00 AM, "Adam R. Maxwell" wrote:

> Papers, Bookends, EndNote, and Sente all support BibTeX to varying
> degrees.  What are you looking for that BibDesk doesn't have?
> We're always interested in making it suck less ;).
>
> --
> adam

OK, since you mention it: I was having trouble with the search
function and wildcards. The reference to the search function really
sucks; it just says this:

For example, the following query includes Boolean, prefix, and suffix
searching:

`appl* OR *ing'

This query will return documents containing words that begin with
"appl" as well as documents that contain words that end with "ing".

As far as I can see (and I tried a lot), there is no real regular
expression search. I was trying to filter my database for entries
that have either 'Electra' or 'Elektra' in any field. But "Ele*tra"
would in effect search for two strings, 'Ele*' and 'tra' -- useless,
IMHO.

So I don't quite agree with "forget the rest." Filtering with real
regular expressions and creating "virtual databases" is possible with
ebib, a bibtex tool for emacs (http://ebib.sourceforge.net/), which I
like a lot, and (if you're not scared of the command line), bibtool
(http://www.gerd-neugebauer.de/software/TeX/BibTool.en.html) has very
than this "wildcard" business.

Nevertheless, I use Bibdesk a lot and like it very much. I just don't
think that it is the only tool out there worth mentioning.

Thomas