[OS X TeX] newbie question on fonts motivated by LaTeXiT

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Fri Oct 26 16:17:32 EDT 2007

At 3:21 PM -0400 10/26/07, dan at geer.org wrote:
>[travails of TeX installation snipped]
>
>7. Erased the old LaTeXiT as I now have two of them,
>retaining the one under /usr/texbin that came in
>with  step #5

This may just be mis-described, but LaTeXit resides within the TeX
folder of your Applications folder.  It's not in /usr/texbin (which
points to the root of the whole TeX distribution currently active.)

>8. Find that nothing has changed, i.e., still at
>step #2 with great cascades of errors unless these
>directives (from my otherwise ancient preamble) are
>destroyed
>
>   \usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
>   \setromanfont{Palatino}
>   \setmathrm{Palatino}
>   \fontspec{Palatino}

This looks like you're using xelatex.  Did you check in the
preferences of LaTeXit under Composition --> Behaviour that xelatex
is the default behaviour?

Also, there may have been some changes to fontspec (I don't use it
much right now, so I haven't been checking.)  Without seeing what the
errors are, it's hard to tell.

(And that all of the scripts point to the right locations?
/usr/texbin/latex (or pdflatex or xelatex))

Other than this, it sounds like you have done everything right.  If
you still get errors, then you may need try to create a minimal
example which shows the problem and let us see the actual errors you
get.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491