[OS X TeX] RE: MacOSX-TeX Digest #2251 - 10/29/07

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Oct 30 12:25:47 EDT 2007

On 30.10.2007, at 17:18, Lantz Susan wrote:

> << I highly doubt that actually updated to *Panther* a month ago.
> If you
>
> really did that, it was not a very smart thing to do. >>
>
> Simon, perhaps I misspoke. I upgraded the last week of September to
> OS X
> 10.4.x. Isn't that Panther?

Nope, that's Tiger. And in case my post seemed rude, it was meant as
a joke (which not everyone seemed to get), since I was quite
confident that you didn't update to Panther last month.

> I see from Steve Peter's post that I confused the jungle cats. (I wish
> Apple would add a gazelle or giraffe or something non-feline to the
> list.) I upgraded to Tiger at the end of September.
>
> << BTW Expect many apps to go Leopard-only in the next months. 10.5
> offers too many interesting things for developers. >>
>
> What kind of interesting things have those of you who are developers
> found on 10.5?

I'm not a developer, but Leopard added a lot of under the hood stuff
which is really interesting for developers. There is, for example, a
new framework which makes complex animations very easy, there's a
significantly updated development environment and an updated
programming language which will make the handling of memory much
easier. But that's really beyond the scope of this thread. If you're
interested in a review of Leopard which covers the more technical
aspects (but still in a language which laymen understand) I recommend
John Siracusa's review on Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/
reviews/os/mac-os-x-10-5.ars

simon

--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"In a world getting more and more democratic, film directing is the last
resort for dictators." Francis Ford Coppola