[OS X TeX] Poor performance on a MacBookPro

Dave Murray-Rust D.S.Murray-Rust at sms.ed.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 16:44:47 EDT 2007

On 3 Sep 2007, at 20:44, Morten Høgholm wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 13:30:33 +0200, Dave Murray-Rust wrote:
>
>> >which latex
>> /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-darwin//latex
>> >file $( which latex )
>> /usr/local/texlive/2007/bin/i386-darwin//latex: symbolic link to
>> `pdftex'
>> >file pdftex
>> pdftex: Mach-O executable i386
>
> Okay so it's not a Rosetta thing although you should still let
> MacTeX handle the various distros.
>
> Can you try running
>
> latex -kpathsea-debug=-1 speed-macbook.tex % or whatever your test
> document is called

Good call, that seems to be the issue; I wont post the output,
because it's very long ;)

It seems to be searching through *every* file in my home directory
(which is quite large). I don't know why though - I've tried export
TEXINPUTS="", and it still goes through everything.

If I log in as a different user, then my test file takes 0.13s to
compile, which is more like it.

So why is kpathsea searching everything, and how do I make it stop?

Cheers,
dave