[OS X TeX] Poor performance on a MacBookPro

Dave Murray-Rust D.S.Murray-Rust at sms.ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 4 05:41:05 EDT 2007

On 3 Sep 2007, at 23:03, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

>> It seems you have moved your home directory to an external drive.
>> The double // in /Volumes/Data/Users/dave// seems to have the
>> effect that all directories in your home are searched. I bet you
>> have set your $HOME variable _with_ a final slash. It should not
>> have that slash. As an experiment, do the following:
>>
>> export HOME=Volumes/Data/Users/dave
>> latex test-file
>>
>> If that helps, you have the cause. Use whatever method (NetInfo I
>> guess) to change the assignment of your home.
>>
>> Maarten
>>

> Howdy,
>
> Yes, the // means all sub-directories and then the trailing path.

You guys rock! Thanks for all the help.

My test file now takes 0.07s to latex, and my chapter takes 0.46, so
I'm now very happy.

The response to a double slash in the middle of a path seems like a
strange behaviour! I was on the look out for double slashes at the
end, but not expecting ones in the middle to matter.

Thanks again,
dave