[OS X TeX] general question concerning font installation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Sep 10 08:19:08 EDT 2007

Le 10 sept. 07 à 13:40, Oliver Pooley a écrit :

> On 10 Sep 2007, at 03:09, Aaron Jackson wrote:
>
>> Try doing a
>>
>> sudo updmap-sys --edit
>>
>> and then making all changes at once.
>
> When I do this updmap.cfg is opened in the terminal window and the
> title bar indicates that vim is running.  I can see where and how
> one would add the information about the map files.  However, I have
> no idea how one actually edits and saves the file.  I realise this
> is really a question about terminal.app and/or vim, but many thanks
> in advance if it's easy to say what one does.

A possibly more "intuitive" editor built in OS X is pico, a stand-
alone version of the text editor of the pine email software.

However, it seems use of vi(m) is hardwired inside updmap, and I'm
not sure you can coerce updmap into calling another editor. updmap is
actually a perl script, which can be inspected. I think the following
lines:

     case "$cmd" in
       edit)
         ${VISUAL-${EDITOR-vi}} "$cnfFile";;

defines vi to be the editor called by the --edit option.

Bruno Voisin