[OS X TeX] EPS figures from PowerPoint in MacTex

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Sep 15 06:09:02 EDT 2007

Le 15 sept. 07 à 06:10, Visar Berisha a écrit :

> More specifically, EPS figures I have made in
> PowerPoint show up with white space on top and they cover other parts
> of my document. This problem goes away if I regenerate the figures by
> placing them in
> the top left hand corner of powerpoint but I dont want to go through
> and regenerate every figure. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks
> in advance.

The GhostScript route
=====================

Alongside GhostScript is installed (in /usr/local/bin) a script
eps2eps which is supposed to take care of malformed EPS files (the
script invokes GS in the background, to interpret then redistill the
files). You may try to apply it to your files to see if that helps.

You may also try to work directly from the PowerPoint-produced PDF
files, and apply to them, on the Mac, another script, also part of a
GS install, called pdf2ps. And possibly apply beforehand to the PDF
file the script pdfcrop, installed alongside TeX (in /usr/local/
texbin), to remove that unwanted white space.

Whether the resulting PS file will be valid EPS, I'm not sure. If
it's not, you may try applying to it ps2epsi (also part of GS).

For more on the above:

	man eps2eps
	man pdf2ps
	pdfcrop -help
	man ps2epsi

When you need to apply a tool to a series of files, OS X includes a
handy command called "apply". As in:

	apply eps2eps *.eps

The xpdf route
==============

Finally you may try to use instead the series of tools (including one
pdftops) part of xpdf, the PDF interpreter of the X-Windows system.
The tools alone (not requiring X11) have been ported to the Mac. See:

<http://users.phg-online.de/tk/MOSXS/>

and look for xpdf-tools-3.dmg there (see also the small description
of the tools at the bottom of that page).

A graphical user interface for these tools is available for the Mac.
It uses Ruby/Tk which is part of OS X (possibly you need to install
Xcode, I'm not sure). It's called epspdf:

<http://tex.aanhet.net/epspdf/>

At the time I was experimenting with it I had posted some comments
and installation hints, see:

<http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/2007-April/030318.html>.

If none of the above helps, then I'm afraid you won't be able to
avoid recreating each figure in PowerPoint.

Bruno Voisin