[OS X TeX] Some thoughts about editors

David Oliver daoliver at swva.net
Fri Sep 21 15:58:36 EDT 2007

I'm about to begin writing a new book (to be done in LaTeX) and have
been considering whether to take up a new editor (my historical
editors are those of TexShop preceded by that of Textures with
cursory looks at Emacs and BBEdit). Most of my (non-LaTeX)
programming is done in Mathematica and I appreciate the automatic
formatting of code therein.

I could continue with TeXShop where I have somewhat of an investment
in customization and auto completion sets. But there are two features
I very much value and would like to have that TeXShop does not
possess: text folding (I use many foot- and end-notes) and a  LaTeX
programming environment that formats LaTeX automatically according to
reasonable indentation rules (as in Mathematica). (The closest
possibility might be BBEdit which provides folding and an excellent
HTML programming environment, but not one for LaTeX.)

Have others faced this limitation and how might have you achieved a
LaTeX programming environment with folding?

Thanks,

David Oliver